Monday, October 19, 2015

Class Eight: Ending with African Masks

It is all over, my friends. My amazing class has come to a close and I have learned SO much on this journey. Seriously I cannot thank you all enough for caring and supporting me, for making this happen.

For this final class I was eager to work on the masks, and instead of doing only one big mask Ms. L had me create a collection of masks to paint, as if they we're being seen in a museum or on display at an art gallery. This gave me the opportunity to choose different styles and a few of the many pictures she had available resonated. Specifically three:


As a fan of abstract and colorful things,
 I picked out the bright ones over the brown masks.


After sketching out my plan and getting a few ideas on drawing materials (Ms. L recommended graphite sticks size 6B; they are closest to painting, she said. Oh and a kneaded eraser to go with). She also gave me some tips on using painters tape to create hard edges and that shopping in the painter's section of Home Depot is a great place to find cheap brushes for washes and large background images. Also, burnt sienna and cadmium red makes good terra cotta. Thanks Ms. L!!

I am starting to understand at this point the macro to micro style of painting. And the more I practice the easier it gets. My masks (which still aren't complete of course, I have plans to continue working on them at home) were sketched out with an ocher wash, as was the background. And I played with whether to add any masks to the background.

Creepy, isn't it? Hehe

But they got better! (They're not dead yet...)

Time flew by and I kept moving around my painting if ever I felt stuck, not becoming too attached to where things were or how detailed I wanted to get (cause the details come last!!) I was most concerned with the shadows and giving the masks depth and dimension. Also faces are hard, oh, I mean, a challenge. Lol Time flew by as it always seemed to when I crossed the threshold into the art studio. I worked right up until time to leave. I am pretty happy with my stands but it's not even close to finished.

Where I had to stop...

I like the shading of the boxes, and Ms. L got a bowl out and put a light source on it so I could see how the shadows fell on it. It really helped with the stands but the masks are still pretty flat. I need to start putting in all the details and shading. Also, I got permission to share Ms. L, her name is Lois Ames, and if you ever have the chance to take a painting or drawing class, 

And for now, this is it. But I do plan on continuing my work and posting updates of my paintings as they progress. Maybe I can keep this ritual of posting every Monday. This journal of my experience doesn't have to end because my class did! Once again, thank you to everyone who helped give me this incredible birthday present. Much love to you all!!!



1 comment:

  1. I can't believe the last class has come and gone!! Wasn't it just yesterday? Time flies when your creating art!! I started re-reading your blog from start to finish looking for an aha moment. There wasn't some Great epiphany, there were small a moment a that you grew from!! I feel so blessed to be join you vicariously!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete